Sunday, January 4, 2015

Kristjan Magnússon

[Iceland] (b 1903/d 1937)

" Born in Isafjordur, Iceland, in 1903 where he now lives, Mr. Magnusson attended the Massachusetts School of Art from 1921/1926.. He has exhibited in this country at the National Academy of Design in New York, the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and with the American Federation of Arts. His first One-Man show was held at the Copley Gallery in Boston in 1927. Since his return to Iceland , his work has become more and more indigenous in felling.
In the two Exhibitions in London at the Alpine club, 1930 and at the fine Arts Society, 1931, his work received the spontaneous acclaim of the Press which was echoed again in his exhibition in Stockholm in 1932 " (catalog of the exhibition in the Worcester Art Museum in 1933)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iceland 1933 "Philanthropic Associations and Charity Stamps"  (4,3,3) [Recess (De La Rue)] Sc(B1,...,B4)






[This Post is still subject to Updates or corrections (I have to contact the Iceland Post , because in the Catalogs , these 3 series are credited to T. Magnusson, K. Magnusson and O. Magnusson respectively... The Artist Kristjan Magnusson was in full Artistic capacity between 1930 and 1937 , time of his death.. I need to know if all these 3 series are part of his work or not.. Meanwhile , caution is required before using this Info.. I will make an Update when I have fresh news..]

[ I received a very detailed answer from Mr. Vilhjálmur Sigurðsson from the Iceland Postal Service..the answer make me see how wrong I was  in this post.. In fact there are three different Artists who have the last name Magnússon in this same period of time.. Mr. Kristjan Magnússon, Mr. Tryggvi Magnússon  and Mr. Ólafur Magnússon... I have corrected the entries in these post , with my apologies to the Iceland Postal Service and to all of You, and another two posts will be done for the other two Artists... Next time I have to make the proper questions before publishing the post... My fault..] updated 15/01/2015 15:14]




No comments:

Post a Comment